Thursday, April 7, 2011

Misconceptions of couponers....

After the recent disaster known as Extreme Couponing, I feel I should clarify a few misconceptions.

Some of my FREE TP!
1.  We're not all hoarders.  Yes, I have enough toothpaste, dish soap, toilet paper, and deodorant to last our family for awhile.  Awhile, yes...Forever - DEFINITELY NOT!  I tell ya, I am extremely glad that we have it too!  I don't know about you, but I am very thankful that my family can brush their teeth, wear deodorant and have clean a clean...bottom.  The difference between a non-couponer and myself?  I don't have emergencies where I need to run out and pay full price for TP.  In fact, while I'm starting to get low, I'm not running out but I'm starting to watch closer for deals.  Whats the difference between myself and the people on the show?  While I have some things in stock, I in no way have 55 bottles of Malox.  If it's free and it's something I will definitely use (TP) I will buy ALL I POSSIBLY CAN (as long as it won't expire!!)!

A box of donations.
2.  We don't have the food deals!  I never have to worry about expiring food.  While I can occasionally find a really good deal that is cheap and even free (rarely!!), I buy what my family will use.  I might buy a few for close friends and family, or even some to donate.  I absolutely DO NOT go overboard.  We have NO STORES THAT DOUBLE COUPONS.  So yes, I still have to pay for my groceries.  If I save $30 on any particular grocery trip, I am EXCITED!  I am stocked up on pastas, sauces, cereal, and a few other things because we eat a lot of it.  My cupboards are full of healthy foods that my family will eat....and a few things we don't eat.  *GASP*  "things you DON'T eat?!!?"  YEP!  I will specifically buy things like Hamburger Helper - which we NEVER eat.  The food bank is always asking for those types of items whenever they're doing a drive.  I enjoy having something on hand that I can donate at the drop of a hat.

3.  You're eating SO UNHEALTHY!  Obviously, you've never eaten supper at my house.  No, we're not living like a dietitian, but we're not eating crap over and over again.  Healthy coupons are out there!!

My collection of sample or trial sized items.
Some are also in the pic below. 
4.  We buy what the coupon says!  One of the ladies on the show has gotten herself in a huge amount of trouble.  She is intentionally defrauding the system and she's been called out by many, many couponer's around the nation.  I will not get into how she's doing it because I don't condone it.  If P&G is gracious enough to give us $1 off any TIDE product, use it to buy ANY TIDE PRODUCT!  That includes trial sizes.  Don't use it on something else.  It's meant for Tide.  If it says $1 off Any Tide excluding Trial Sized, then don't buy a trial sized item with it.

5.  It's all about the "free".  Yes, I will get something because it's free but it will go into donation.  Some things I never ever thought I'd use, but when the day came that I needed it, I was VERY HAPPY I had it!!  Case in point.... awhile back, Walgreens had a Stop Blister product.  Yep, I bought it.  Now that my new shoes are giving me blisters, I used it every day until my shoes were broken in better!!  It's been a HUGE help!

6.  A 35c coupon is worthless.  Nope.  Not for me.  I can't save much at the store so every penny counts.  Why is it people complain about gasoline jumping 10c a gallon but they're not willing to cut a coupon worth 10c for something they're buying anyway?

A few of the freebies in my stockpile from awhile back.
Sadly, its not this fully anymore.
7.  Couponing takes SO MUCH TIME!  NO!  Let your fingers do the work.  There are a ton of blogs out there that are doing the work for you.  Follow, look and listen!  Cut your coupons and go with it!  It is possible to only cut the coupons you need.  You don't need a binder (Bible, book, etc.) to coupon.  Make a list, match it to sales, cut your coupons, and stick to it!

Lastly, I'd like to say this.  For me, couponing has made me a MUCH better shopper.  I've managed to stretch our budget from $300-$600 a MONTH in food down to $100-$200 max.  That has helped our family afford so many other things that we couldn't before!  My coupon savings easily make our truck payment each month and more!  Yes, it is work but for me and many other couponers around the nation, it's also FUN!  It has taught me to be very frugal!  I can't imagine spending $400 at the grocery anymore!!!  I would probably PASS OUT!

The show is fun but it's just that... a show...entertainment!  PLEASE don't confuse them with the rest of us.

5 comments:

  1. I AGREE with you 100%. I have no stores that double, never find coupons for produce or meat, and our local newspaper only inserts coupons to subscriber papers. Do I look for deals? You bet you. I will use every coupon, no matter the savings, if it brings that price down lower than the cost of the store brand for that item.

    I would like to know what you refer to as the one show participants fraud. Wondering if it is what I caught?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dianna, there are many many other sites out there bashing her. Feel free to use your Google power! I will tell you this...she likes stilettos. :)

    If you happen to have sites that you use, please share them and I would be more than happy to share some in return!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New reader here. I was searching for coupon site in Sioux Falls and stumbled onto your site. I think we may be from the town, SC?
    Anyways,I'm a fellow blogger and I agree with your thoughts on our local coupon situation. I do wonder what the new store will bring though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle, I'd love to chat with you further. Yes, I'm in Sioux City. Feel free to email me at lauralytton@cableone (dot) net

    ReplyDelete