Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Upcycling....


Being as April is Earth Month, I've decided to do a few more upcycling projects this month.  

For starters, I've had questions, emails and calls about what exactly "upcycling" is.  Heck, even the auto-dictionary is telling me that upcycling isn't a word.  Well, auto-dictionary, you're WRONG!  

Thank you, whomever's page I stole this from...
Upcycling is the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or a higher environmental value.  

I saw it explained a little more layman as "recycling is a chemical process, upcycling is not chemically changing the item, just using it for something better".  




So I made this, a hanging chair.  With a bit of time, talent and help I'm hoping to add that fun little chair to my front yard (where I can easily piss off anyone that wanders by).  I'm sincerely looking forward to spending a great deal of time, hanging from my tree and reading away the lazy days while the girls play in the yard.  

To keep things honest, I didn't use the pallet in the picture below.  My dad had enough pallet pieces in his scrap pile, and he wanted to use this full pallet for something else.  So, I snapped a picture of it but this isn't the actual wood I used. 

The starting point.....
Yay for power tools!!!






I did about 1/2 of it myself.  By hand....After I started having trouble with the power drill, a call to my dad and the use of his drill press, and life was grand!














Sanding










In between waiting for the PITA drill to charge, I started sanding....Boy I have a real appreciation for power tools now!!!








Meara helping sand!




.....So does Meara.





Teagan demonstrated the layout.


Laces 

Hanging it up 


Jerod holding the chair while I was hanging it
Courtney and Meara each had to take a turn in the chair!




When we were all said and done, each of the kids took a turn in the chair, then I booted them and had my turn!  

















For the record, it was a LOT of work but it's worth it!  I'm not going to take the time to do a step-by-step because it's in the link above.  I will however, show you the pictures from each step that I took (or was taken by someone around me as I was doing each step!!).



I would like to say thanks to a few people....  First off, my brother - for the pallet,  my dad,  for the use of power tools and the knowledge to use them, my husband for being tall enough to help me hang it and my girls for their help and motivation to finish it.... and Michelle for taking pictures... :)






Please visit my links to give credit to the man that created it!!  http://www.instructables.com/id/Paracord-Laced-Pallet-Hanging-Chair/step7/Hang-and-Enjoy/

2 comments:

  1. Very cute and such a great idea! Want a swing for Aiden so bad! I might have to steal this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth, if you do make one let me know! I'd love to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete