Monday, July 18, 2011

It's HOT!

It's hot.  God Bless Iowa in the Summertime.  The kids enjoy the pool and swinging on their new swing set, but for anyone over 15, this weather is pretty much miserable.

When you add pregnancy into the mix of 98 degrees and 99% humidity, things get worse!  So, despite the fact that I'm running low on clothing that fit, my only comfortable sundress died last year.  It's a MUST that I find some new things to wear that will last me the rest of the summer.

Saturday morning, I decided to make a dress.  Meara and I packed up and headed out before Jerod and Teagan were even out of bed yet and headed to the craft store.  I had gone with the thought that I was going to re-purpose a shirt I already had and I'd only need a little bit of material for the skirt part.  However, fate thought differently.

When we got to Hobby Lobby, I discovered that their patterns were on sale for 99c each.  (Price tag on them - $15+!!!)  So, I bought 2 patterns.

Here's where the typical "Laura" steps in.  Pattern A is an easy sew pattern.  Honestly, not overly difficult.  Pattern B looked easy.  I decided to do pattern B.  The dress turned out super cute, but it was horrible getting to that point!!  Meara and I picked out some adorable fabric, that would give a fun, "summery" look to the dress and headed home!  (Middle dress in the pattern below)




To begin with, I don't color inside the lines.  What made me think I could tackle a pattern easily?  I don't know, but obviously I was blinded by the pretty picture on the cover.






I cut the pattern out - yay!  I can cut in a straight line!  I remembered to cut the little triangles out where they're supposed to be....(Ok, I forgot one or two).  But I did alright.  I began reading the instructions....this was my demise.






After spending nearly 6 hours on this monstrosity on Saturday, I gave up and called in professional help. I loaded up the kids on Sunday and took the damn thing over to my mothers and she and I spent another 6 hours on it.  It's really, really cute but I almost resent it because it took up 12 hours of my life.




Please excuse the frazzled look I have in the picture.  Also, remember that it looks rather tent-like in the picture because I haven't washed it yet in this picture.  (I starch the heck out of my fabric to make for easier sewing!)  Also, it looks a little big on me because, well, it is.  I made it a size larger so it can adjust easily throughout the summer.  It has fabulous drawstrings so I can tie it tighter or leave it loose!




Big kudos to my mom for saving the day!  She rocks!  
Also thanks to Jerod and my dad for helping with the children as needed over the weekend!  

No comments:

Post a Comment