Saturday, August 6, 2011

Late Night Cooking...

Tonight, Jerod and I got a wild hair after the kids went to bed.  Before your mind wanders too far, we cooked!  It was fun!

We've experimented in many dabbles of late night cooking, but tonight we made Fried Green Tomatoes & a zucchini!  I've NEVER in my life tried a fried green tomato.  It sounded good, so why not?  Well, I'm not Southern.  Not in the slightest!  I was in the South once or twice, but that hardly gives me right to cook a southern delicacy.

With Jerod at the lead, I followed his direction.  He did the research on them, so he gets to lead the way.  I don't think this is something I would have jumped into blindly!  Here's what we did....

First, Jerod sliced the beautiful heirloom green tomato and the delicious fresh zucchini while I prepared the breading station.  I put in a cup or so of buttermilk into a bowl and used my beautiful Pampered Chef Bar Pan to put spread out the bread crumbs and Panko Crumbs (Italian Seasoned).

Jerod breading a zucchini!





After Jerod had them sliced he handed them to me.  I coated them the way I was taught to bread chicken.  Coat once in bread, dip in buttermilk and once in Panko.  Well, traditional methods don't exactly work here.  When Jerod took over, he started packing on the bread crumbs...and yea...That works great!!











I moved to the stovetop....I had to be useful SOMEWHERE!  Haha!  We fried them on a medium-high heat until brown in a little bit of canola oil.  Once brown, we set them aside on some paper towel, cooled and ate them up!






Ta-Da!



Two things....

**I specifically mentioned the Pampered Chef Bar Pan for a reason.  I used to hate the mess breading anything made, but the Bar Pan is fabulous.  It contains the breading mess, it's large enough to set the bowl of liquid on and contain that mess too!  If you need one, let me know...I'll hook ya up with Lisa!

**The Panko Bread Crumbs make it fabulous!  The Panko adds a great crunch!  I don't think the buttermilk was needed.  I wouldn't make a special trip to specifically buy buttermilk for this snack.  Whole milk, an egg, regular milk....I think they'd all suffice... anything you would use to normally bread something....even beer maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment